Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Looking Forward to Something in the Past....

I realize that paying attention to my daily activity has revealed habits that have developed over a short period of time that are consuming my free space.
As technology continues to advance, so does our need to be in the middle of it. I walk in the elevator and everyone is looking at their mobile device and never once look at the person entering the elevator. Driving on the highway the car in front of me is in the left lane, occasionally making their way into the middle lane due to texting while driving.

Why is this feature so important to us that we can not wait until we reach our destination to read the latest comments? What is happening to our society that has us so glued to these gadgets that we have lost sight of verbal communication and eye contact?

Honestly, I will confess, I sometimes hate my iPhone and all that comes with it. If I choose not to respond to someone immediately, don't question me. If I do not respond to an invite, don't question me, if I do not change my attendance status to an event, don't question me. Who made these rules so important that nothing else matters unless they are acknowledged? Don't get me wrong, there is a time and a place for me when it comes to this 3x5 piece of mind control but I find that I am missing the old days when a phone call or a voicemail even a letter was something to look forward to...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Carol wrote: "I wish I was free-spirited and spontaneous! I love your writing - you should do it more often - that is a talent that I do not have and I always am amazed by it!"

Unknown said...

Annie wrote: "Not long ago I invited several people for dinner at home and had them (about 8) place their phones in another room while we dined. The conversation at the table was thought-provoking, animated and fun. No one was texting or looking at that little gadget. Bless you, mama."

Unknown said...

Carol, you do have a free-spirit, the choice to un-tie it is up to you! Let loose, grab a hoola hoop and join me and the girls for lessons! That should jump-start that knot. I love you and thank you for following me!

Unknown said...

Annie, I think that's a great idea! I wonder how many families could benefit from this idea and start speaking again!
I love you, thank you for following me.